Dispute Resolution and Legal Representation
Our approach to resolving disputes is characterized by the close collaboration of experienced dispute resolution practitioners, patent lawyers and technology experts. We are not only familiar with the legal rules and practices of the courts and authorities deciding cases, but very quickly get up to speed on the technical questions underlying a dispute. More importantly still, we are aware that disputes take up substantial time and resources, and that the outcome ultimately reached through formal proceedings does not always correspond to the parties’ expectations and interests. As part of our advice, we, therefore, always explore strategic options and potential alternatives to proceedings, whether through negotiations, mediation or otherwise.
Recent cases from our practice:
- We acted for the seller in a post-M&A dispute relating to the sale of production facilities to the US.
- We represented clients in patent infringement and patent nullity suits relating to medical technology, electrical engineering, software patent and injection moulding.
- We represented a pharma company in a dispute with a supplier of clinical material.
- We acted as lead counsel for a biotech company in a cross-border licensing dispute, also advising on coordination with parallel criminal proceedings, impact on the relationship with a sub-licensee and settlement opportunities.
- We assisted a medtech company with its response strategy to criminal charges against former business partners, conducting an internal investigation and advising on interactions with law enforcement agencies in several countries, as well as on related litigation risks.
- We defended a private individual against alleged director liability claims.
- We assisted a leading beverages company with the assessment and enforcement of liability claims against a supplier of additives.
- We accompanied a bank employee in a criminal investigation concerning cybercrime.
- We defended a foreign state in attachment and litigation proceedings in relation to property located in Switzerland.
Patent law: Decision of the Swiss Federal Supreme Court of 6 August 2019 - 4A_70
In this landmark decision, the Swiss Federal Supreme Court revalues a long-standing process for Swiss patent proceedings in front of the Federal Patent Court, thereby strengthening the principle of procedural equality of arms. »
Publikation von Thomas Kretschmer zur Schutzfähigkeit von Software-Innovationen
Im Rahmen unserer Serie zum Thema Technologie und Recht im KMU-Magazin publiziert Thomas Kretschmer einen Artikel zur Schutzfähigkeit von Software-Innovationen. »
Publication of Anne-Catherine Hahn on international arbitration
Bribery Allegations in Arbitration Proceedings – 10th edition of The International Arbitration Review »
New patent law commentary
The first edition of the commentary on the Swiss Patent Act published on 1 July 2019 covers Switzerland's most recent case law while also taking into account the practice in Europe »
Media release of the Swiss Federal Council of 14 June 2019: Patent boxes will be available in Switzerland as of 2020
Summary information on the new Swiss Act on Patent Boxes »